Guest Blog from the Good Queen: Battle of the Primers

Tuesday, November 26, 2013



A few weeks ago Christina asked if I wanted any of the product samples she wasn't going to use. I love makeup, so of course I said yes. I also offered to write this guest post. But be warned: There is no way my writing could ever be as funny as hers, so I won't even try. 

I was really excited about the primer samples Christina gave me. Ordinarily, I am completely devoted to Bare Minerals for makeup and skin care. My skin is sensitive and breaks out at the slightest change, and I find that Bare Minerals products keep everything under as much control as possible. But this week I put aside my trusty BM primers to try Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion and Benefit "That Gal" brightening face primer.
I used "That Gal" for two days, and my face exploded. So it's going in the bin thanks to my pesky pores. For those two days, however, I didn't really notice any "brightening," though I think that effect may be more noticeable under a tinted moisturizer or liquid foundation. It kept my face in place for most of the day. To make the comparison fair, I used the Bare Minerals Prime Time foundation primer on the third day. It worked just as well as it always does and, like the Benefit product, kept my makeup in place for most of the day. I really don't think there is any primer in the world that is going to make me look perfect at 8 p.m. when I apply my face at 7 a.m. I always have to touch up in the afternoon.
With the eyeshadow primers I could literally do a side-by-side comparison (see photo above). Urban Decay on the left; Bare Minerals Prime Time eyshadow primer on the right. I used both shimmery and matte eye shadows. The consistency of the Urban Decay is a bit more liquid-y and goes on smoothly. The Bare Minerals is thicker and I feel like I used more of it to get the coverage I wanted. Both products worked perfectly. Unlike the foundation primer, that stuff stayed on my eyelids for 12+ hours -- my eyeshadow looked exactly the same at the end of the day as it did when I applied it. 

Has anyone thought of using eyeshadow primer all over their face? Because I'm starting to think that might be a good idea.

The Good Queen Katherine (sister of The Evil Queen Christina)

Post a Comment