Color Your Mouth: NYX's Macaron Lippies

Saturday, September 6, 2014







Okay so before I get into actual product reviews, I want to talk about being afraid of colour

Maybe about a month or so my dear friend Nikki linked to my blog on her facebook status. Now, there's a little bit in here about "goth" kinds of things, and one of her friends made a comment about how in her day, a goth girl would never have dreamed of wearing neon. 

And that's probably true. Traditional goth wear is pretty much black/grey/red, with very little desire for variance. And a lot of people, whether they prescribe to a subculture or not, stick to a pretty strict colour palette. I do too, I have colours that look good on me and colours that I wear and colours that I absolutely do not wear (brown, blue, gold).

But theres something to be said for the shock value of bright, unexpected colours. I don't understand why lipstick in particular is typically restrained to traditional reds, berries, pinks, and nudes. It's boring. It's expected. It's the same thing every other bitch is doing.

So why the fuck not wear green lipstick? Why the fuck not wear brighter, bolder shades? Wear every fucking colour of the rainbow on your mouth. Who gives a fuck?

There is something to be said for pushing boundaries and stepping out of your comfort zone, and that something is this: you will never know your own goddess power unless you try new things. Turn heads. Make people stare. Make it worth their time.

That being said, as soon as I saw previews of these lipsticks from NYX I knew I had to get my hands on them. Because I'm weird, and I like crazy colours.

The formula is a little less pigmented than I'd like, and I didn't really love the Black Sesame's grey against my skin tone -  I'd need something more matte and maybe a little darker. But I really love the Lavender and Pistachio colours, and actually I think they're quite wearable. I like bright coloured lips against all black outfits, and it's a perfect unexpected pop of colour. These are really great alternatives to more expensive brands like Lime Crime, and the packaging is pretty dope too.




Overall, I'm pretty pleased!


Post a Comment