Meet Your New Favorite Band: Cable Car

Monday, December 29, 2014



If you're like me, you're always looking for new music. If you're like me, you also like to big up your friends who are making music. So right now, I'm going to do both. Meet Cable Car. They're talented, they're cool, and they're stupid hot. You're welcome.


For readers who aren't familiar with your band, can you introduce yourself and your band?
My pleasure, My name is Nate Mott singer and guitarist for the band Cable Car. Always by my side a Mr. Surr Chevvie and a Mr. Jack Turner. We hail from Rhode Island, Vermont and the UK. Chevvie and I came out to Los Angles together and we met Jack living across the courtyard from us. We started Cable Car soon after meeting.

So when I met you, we were both standing in line for the X Factor auditions. Now, you've just released your first ever music video with your band, Cable Car. Take me through that journey: how did you get from there to where you are now? 
Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. I had the time and the geographical means to see what an X Factor audition might be like. As you remember it was quite an experience. When we met that rainy morning I was still in the middle of my plans to get to LA. X Factor was a why the hell not moment. Still it felt great to beat out 18,000 people that day and push on to the next round before I was cut. As for the video it was just the right time for us. We have a great new record and we wanted to put out a great video for it.

As for the journey…well it's a long story really. I could fill the page with the details so I'll condense it bit. As I said Chevvie and I had already made plans to move out to LA. We had a few friends who had made the jump ahead of us so we knew we'd have a  few friendly faces to help us get acquainted. Once we made the move we got right to work. Not only writing together but with two other projects we kept to the sides. The one that stuck was Cable Car. Why? honestly because it felt right for us all. Time and place kind of thing. We loved the music and each other so we went for it. LA is now well acquainted with us! We just played Sayers club a place many of our favorite bands have played including ASTR! In fact Bastille played the night after us. What an honor that was.

What is life like out in LA? Why did you make the decision to go there to begin your music career as opposed to New York? 
I have spent plenty of time in New York and although I love the people I'm a warm weather kind of person. There were also some friends out here that I knew would make the transition a bit more fun.

How did you meet your bandmates and come together to form Cable Car? 
Chevvie and I were already playing together in Rhode Island and Jack we met out here. Started playing together and couldn't turn away from how good it felt.

What is the music writing process like for you? Do you write with your bandmates, do you write music and lyrics together or one after the other?
Our process has evolved a bit over the last year. Instead of the standard acoustic guitar and a notepad we decided to let the studio get right into the mix writing as we record, throwing it all in the session and peeling away what we don't love. Lyrics tend to be derived from the mood of the sonic landscape. However if a theme comes up we might gear the music in a particular direction to fit it. Create a mood so to speak.

What was the experience of making your first video like? How did you come up with the concept? Has it been well received? 
The song Tonight speaks a lot to the power fantasy has when left unrealized. So we sat with the director and hatched out a concept that allowed each of us to express our sexual fantasies to a psychiatrists. To make the video exciting we had her becomes the fantasy but never really give us what we wanted. I think the video leaves you wanting more and that was our intent!

Will there be a full length album release in the future? 
There may be but to be honest EP's just seem to be where it is at right now. You can get in the studio burn out 5 songs then get right back in and burn out another 5 without these long gaps between releases. It's a fun new format.

What are the next steps for your music career? What can we expect next from Cable Car? 
We intend to promote the self titled EP just released for 6 months by touring it around a bit. From there a hopping on an established tour is where we are headed I suppose.

Itunes: http://bit.ly/12kqBxt
facebook.com/wearecablecar
instagram: @wearecablecar
twitter.com/wearecablecar
www.wearecablecar.com


Post a Comment